Thursday, August 4, 2016

Captain's Blog: 8-4-16

OMG - where to begin.....  As you may know, our boat's name is Positive Lattitude - and our motto aboard is "No Hurries - No Worries".  Well today is the epitome of that phrase.

Wed 8-3-16 Jonathan and I arrived at Positive Lattitude to make her ready for the trip the next morning.  Unfortunately due to various circumstances we were of course behind schedule and didn't make it to the fuel dock in time to top off - oh well we figured, that'll only put us 30 mins behind schedule anyways as they open at 0730, "No Hurries, No Worries".  We continued with final preparations into the night which included groceries, storing of dive gear, and flushing the fresh water system with a cleaner solution - what could go wrong....!?  During the flushing process my pump (cira 1999) up and quit on me.  After much searching on Clubsearay (and hitting the damn thing with a wrench) we gave up and decided that given our timetable was already pushed back, another 30 mins wouldn't hurt and we could wait until 0800 the next morning to call around for a pump for install when we get to the next marina.  Called it a night!

Flash forward to 0800 Thursday 8-4-16.  Breakfast!  OH YEAH!

CRAP - it's raining....drizzling really.... oh well.  After a few calls we find a local shop with a suitable replacement pump.  Conveniently enough, it is on the way and near marina, so we decide to motor down and pick it up en-route.  We cast the lines and proceed to the fuel dock.  As soon as we left the protected realm of our covered slip - the sky opened up and a light drizzle turned into a full on deluge.  Back into the slip we went - scrambling to secure eisenglass as we went....  It was a sight!  

Seeing as we were in a holding pattern for at least 30 mins (add another 15+ for fuelup), I sent 1st mate Jonathan to collect said pump from the shop.  Well as Florida does - the weather cleared and I commenced out of my slip onwards to the fuel dock - SNAP!!!!  "WTF!!!!" could be heard all around I am quite certain.....  well - as luck would have it, the rain and whatever front was pushing through had caused an unusually high tide - and my antenna (lowered to about 45 degrees) struck the roof of my slip and snapped.  Thank god it was only that - and in truth - I am not sure how my nav light or radar survived....!!!!  Called up Jonathan and told him to add an antenna to his shopping list.  DAMN this trip is getting expensive - and we haven't even left the marina....!!!!!!
Well isn't that just great!  Installed the damn thing only just 2 weeks ago....!!

I stand at 6' - this beam is normally 3-4' above my head.....or more on a low tide!

High and dry forklift driveway is usually a good 3-4' above the waterline!

A quick radio check proved that the antenna internals were still good and I felt confident that we could motor for the day and attach the new antenna overnight at our next stoppage.  I grabbed a wrench and some electrical tape and proceeded to splint the antenna so as to not lose the top half ENTIRELY during our run.  Let's GO!!!!
Don't judge me....LOL

We are OFF!!!  Only 6 hours behind schedule....!!  Hey, No Hurries, No Worries, right!?

Time for lunch - motor up drive through anybody?

Full on fuel - both of the human and boating variety - let's get this show on the road and get out in the gulf.....  Well stupid me missed the channel to exit the ICW into the gulf at John's Pass.  No worries, we will just carry further south to Pass-A-Grille and go out there.....  HAH!!!!!

We continue towards Pass-A-Grille inlet, the stbd engine suddenly cuts out.  No alarms.  No temperature or RPM variations prior.... just dead.  Attempted to restart - she turns over but will not crank.  Pop the engine hatch to look for anything suspect - all good as I can tell.  Realizing where I am and knowing there is a nearby marina with mechanics I make a call to Maximo Marina in St Petersburg.  Of course, all their mechanics have already left for the day - but at least they have transient slips and I can moor up overnight and try to get her in at 0730 tomorrow.  So we limp our way back over to Maximo under 1 engine.  

Safely secured at Maximo, Jonathan and I make quick work of installing the new water pump and antenna - 100% operational I might add!!!!  Now onto the stbd engine.  Further examination reveals nothing obvious, still, as if something would magically become apparent....  On suggestion from my father, I try to start her up again, but this time with a bit of throttle - she actually runs for a second or 2 and sputters out.  I repeat and she runs longer before sputtering on return to 0 throttle.  Third times a charm - she starts right up (0 throttle) and continues to run.  Idle seems a bit rough - but no apparent problems.  THANK GOD!!!!  Seemingly just a fuel issue (my original suspicion).  Tomorrow when the mechanic gets on-board will look at having both fuel filters replaced (and maybe fuel pumps for good measure....)


Tally for the day - $400+ in parts.  $500 in fuel.  Rode 30 miles of our intended 130 miles.  This trip is DEFINITELY proving to be about the journey rather than the destination....!!!


1 comment:

  1. Well this journey is definitely testing your patience skills! Glad you all were able to at least make it 30 miles lol

    ReplyDelete